Kevin Smith has a new film, Red State, coming out in 2008:

Plot Outline: A horror film in which a group of misfits encounter fundamentalism gone to the extreme in Middle America

Q&A on the upcoming film:
http://www.slashfilm.com/2007/09/03/kevin-smith-answers-red-state-questions/

Excerpt:

Question: Are you going to be adding elements of comedy, or is it going to be just serious and as you said, “fucked up.”?

Smith: There’s a few chuckles; about 2%. The other 98% is pretty fucking bleak and disturbing.

Question: Anything to compare it to on a bleakness scale?

Smith: “Requiem for a Dream” is a pretty bleak (but insanely well-made) flick. This is more bleak than that.